I was given some Stilton cheese and as much as I love cheese, there’s something off putting about the strong taste and smell of Stilton. However by recommendation I attempted a broccoli soup, packed loaded with vegetables, garnished with Stilton cheese and it was beyond a taste bud treat!
This recipe boasts a hearty taste ideal to cure the winter blues and is packed with a lot of character and love. Try this soup for a homemade, goodness-packed meal and impress everyone with this versatile course.
Recipe for Broccoli Vegetable Soup
Essentials: broccoli, onion, garlic, salt & pepper to taste, olive oil and a knob of butter
Soup: 2 cups stock, 4 cups water, an array of vegetables such as potato, carrot, celery, pumpkin, spinach, parsnip, leek, radish leaves and herbs
Notes: Generally allocate one whole portion + 1/4 of each vegetable per person.
This dish is very versatile and you can use sparse vegetables to create the soup. Try blending different flavours and note down your favourites!
1. Chop and cube the onion and gently cook in a large saucepan, gradually add the garlic. Let the knob of butter melt in the saucepan.
2. Add a cup of water with the rest of the chopped vegetables and sauté the mix on medium heat.
3. Add one cup of stock with another two cups of water. Allow the soup to cook for about 20 mins, stir occasionally.
4. Once the vegetables are soft, half the portion in a blender with some cold water and blitz it. Add the other cup of stock to the pot with a cup of white wine.
5. Put the blended soup in the pot with the other portion of the soup. Mix well and season.
6. When serving the soup, top each bowl with a few chunks of the Stilton cheese and some croutons and crispy vegetables.
Croutons are great for adding a whole other dimension of flavours. There are two easy ways to create these crunchy morsels;
1. Cube some leftover bread and put it in the oven at 180, for 10 mins with a drizzle of olive oil. I used the stale end piece of a Mediterranean loaf but you can also use a baguette, ciabatta, bread roll etc.
2. Cube slices of toast and oven at 180, for 10 mins with olive oil, a sprinkle of herbs and salt & pepper.
The formula for tasty Spicy Wedges
Make a substantial meal by adding a side to go with the soup, or just for chips sake, try this easy recipe for wedges. Potato and I have always had issues so my top tip would be to find a suitable type of potato ideal for wedges, the medium white type will cook in the oven at 190 for 25-30 minutes.
Add chopped garlic, olive oil and a seasoning powder, like cayenne pepper or fajita mix, and salt & pepper to coat each wedge and grill for 5-10 mins near the end for a crispy crunch.
As a finishing touch I spiralled a carrot to go in the oven with the wedges, sprinkle it on top of the soup.